Meet Our Pastor?
Pastor Gregory Powell is characterized as a visionary leader and a long-distance runner. He has served the Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church with a constant leadership for the past thirty-seven years. He is pursuing a God-given vision for an inner city ministry that is fueled by a passion to serve the Chestnut Hills Community formally the Cameron-Trimble Bottom Community.
Over the past years, he has led the church in the purchasing of properties to accommodate the needs of the ministry, with a focus on expanding services in the community. The following highlights are some of the results:
- Construction of a New Worship Center.
- Coverted the old sanctuary into a Training and Recreation Center.
- Established Star Ministries, Inc., a non-profit ministry designed to provide food to the under-privileged.
- Constructed two houses and developed other properties to assist with housing for the elderly.
- Provided housing for C-team Chapel ministries.
- Opened Martha's House-a mentoring site for youth between ages 12-18 years and small group activities.
Pastor Powell is actively involved in and supports several civic and service organizations in the community and the city of Nashville: Barefoot Republic Camp & Retreat Center, Green Hill Health Center, Nashville Rescue Mission, Nashville General Hospital at Meharry, American Baptist College, Alumni (1982), Foreign Mission.
He has been married to wife, Debra for over 34 years and they have two children: Grekail and Desmond.
He's an advocate for good health and physical fitness. His passion for running motivated him to successfully complete several marathons (26.2 miles), one was the Boston Marathon. He often compares his ministry to a marathon race and not a 100-yard dash.